- Research at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) emphasizes a broad study of global change, which is an interdisciplinary initiative addressing natural and man-made changes in our environment that occur on various time scales. — “Data.GISS: Data and Images”, data.giss.nasa.gov
- Default location is the Central Park weather station, New York City. "Insolation" means On a global annual basis, about 57% of insolation is incident on the Earth's surface. — “Insolation at Specified Location”, aom.giss.nasa.gov
- This page is about Helen and Vernon Giss and the children and grandchildren they raised. by family. Just click on the names at the left. webmaster@giss,net. — “Home Page”,
- GISS is a latin-american streaming leader. Español. Live Support. Top Web GISS: . All Rights Reserved © GISS 2010. Global Internet Streaming. — “GISS | Streaming Innovation”,
- GISS was established in May 1961 by Robert Jastrow to do basic research in space sciences in support of Goddard programs. It was then called the Goddard Space Flight Center Institute for Space Studies but quickly became known as the Goddard Institute for Space Studies. — “Goddard Institute for Space Studies - Wikipedia, the free”,
- Earlier this year I did a post on the amount of estimation done to the GHCN temperature record by GISS before generating zonal and global averages. A graphic I posted compared the amount of real temperature data with the amount of estimation over time. — “GISS Spackle and Caulk | Watts Up With That?”,
- Draft GISS Taskbook (3/17/2005) DOC. Sample working directory - see the GIS SOP chapter 2 for more information about File Naming ICS GISS 310-1 DOC. ICS GISS 410-1 DOC. ICS Symbols Illustration Poster PDF. Standard Operating Procedures Workbook PDF. Garmin 3. — “GISS CD Reference”, gis.nwcg.gov
- GISS Media Arts Student Projects. Click here to get the latest news on our school blog. 112 Rainbow Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2K3, Ph: 250-537-9944, Fax: 250-537-9512, firstname.lastname@example.org, SD#64. — “Gulf Islands Secondary School”, gulfislandssecondary.ca
- Primarily engaged in studies of global climate change. — “NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS)”, giss.nasa.gov
- Online Customer Login. — “GISS - Bulk Petroleum Transportation”, giss.biz
- Northfield Park is one of America's premier tracks, featuring year-round, live harness racing. The track generally races four days a week, with a 7PM first post, and is also open daily for simulcasting. — “Northfield Park - Live Harness Racing and Simulcast Racing”,
- What does GISS stand for? Definition of GISS in the list of acronyms and abbreviations provided by the Free Online Dictionary and Thesaurus. — “GISS - What does GISS stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations”,
related videos for giss
- EA Larsen - Giss Buckethead inspired Guitar Improvisation In G Minor Sharp
- GISS World Temperature Anomalies 1880 - 2006 Animation of world temperature anomalies from January 1880 - December 2006 using data from the GISS. For more information, see This video and animation Copyright (C) A. Sinan Unur under the Creative Commons License
- Tobacco Policy Steven Giss General Surgeon
- Faint Young Sun Paradox: GISS Lunch Seminar 20110427 I would like to lead a discussion of several papers (along the lines of a journal club discussion) from the past year discussing the "Faint Young Sun Paradox". Caleb Scharf will give a brief introduction to the topic while I will present a couple slides based on the papers below so that we are all on the same footing. For a listing of the papers please see: www.giss.nasa.gov
- Kirk Knobelspiesse GISS Lunch Seminar 20110223 Title: Atmospheric aerosol optical property retrieval with scanning polarimeters Abstract: In the last decade, climate models have become increasingly accurate. Simulation of the atmospheric aerosol component of climate models, however, remains highly uncertain. This is largely due to the difficulty of consistent observation of all the aerosol optical parameters required for climate modeling. This, in turn, is primarily because the retrieval of these parameters is often underdetermined, and because the aerosol optical signal is difficult to separate from other signals, such as surface reflection. However, a new class of instruments, called scanning polarimeters, have the potential to improve aerosol optical property retrieval. These instruments use multiple angles, spectral bands, and polarization states to provide measurements with maximized information content that can differentiate aerosols from other scatterers. This research is an investigation of the aerosol retrieving potential of scanning polarimeters, using data collected by the Research Scanning Polarimeter (RSP). The RSP is the airborne prototype of the Aerosol Polarimetry Sensor (APS), soon to be launched into orbit as part of the NASA Glory orbital mission. Field campaign data have already been used to verify the capability of RSP (and APS) to retrieve aerosol properties in cloudless areas over the ocean and land. Here I have continued that work, and investigated the potential for aerosol property retrieval ...
- GISS 2012 UBUNTU GISS and AISA are pleased to announce GISS 2012 hosted by American International School of Johannesburg in March 2012. - created at
- Gavin Schmidt GISS Lunch Seminar 20110209 Title: Polar bears, Martha Stewart and me Abstract: Polar bears are frequently poster children for climate change issues, but until recently I had very little idea of the details of threat posed by continuing Arctic change on their life-cycle. In this presentation I'll share what I learned on a recent trip along with some other, perhaps more recognisable, New Yorkers, to Churchill, Manitoba "Polar Bear Capital of the World"!
- GISS Golden Heart Award Scholars Zambia The Golden Heart Scholarship recognised young Zambians who have made a difference in their communities. From over 100 applications 16 students were chosen to participate in the Global Issues Service Summit Africa 2010. These student leaders exmplify the spirit of service that we celebrated during the Summit and contributed the goal of 'seeking sustainable solutions together'. For more information on GIS Summit please visit /GlobalIssues/
- Bastiaan van Diedenhoven GISS Lunch Seminar 20120118 Title: Towards global constraints on short-wave radiative properties of ice clouds Abstract: It has long been known that global climate model projections are sensitive to the simulated properties of ice clouds, such as those of widespread cirrus. The fundamental radiative properties of ice clouds can be represented in terms of their optical thickness, effective ice crystal size, and the asymmetry parameter of the scattering phase function. Satellite measurements such as those from MODIS are currently used to retrieve cloud optical thickness and effective radius, but cannot effectively constrain the asymmetry parameter. Moreover, MODIS cloud products intended to constrain climate model simulations are sensitive to the asymmetry parameters of the ice crystal habits assumed in the retrievals. To date, no global estimates of the asymmetry parameter of ice clouds exist. While ice crystal habits are highly variable, it has been shown that observed variations in the asymmetry parameter of ice clouds can be represented in terms of the aspect ratio and surface roughness of simple hexagonal ice particles. Multidirectional polarization measurements, such as those made by the Research Scanning Polarimeter (RSP), AirMSPI and POLDER instruments, provide sufficient constraints on aspect ratio and surface roughness to allow for a robust retrieval of the asymmetry parameter. Here we present a remote sensing technique to simultaneously retrieve ice crystal asymmetry parameter from ...
- GISS 2007 A video tribute to Gordonstoun International Summer School and every one that ever came or is going to it.. GISS 4 LIFE!!!
- Daehyun Kim GISS Lunch Seminar 20121128 Title: Propagating vs. Non-propagating Madden-Julian Oscillation Abstract: Associated with the Madden-Julian oscillation (MJO), the planetary-scale convective anomaly over the Indian Ocean (IO) usually propagates eastward and reach the west Pacific (WP), but not always. The role of dryness over the Maritime continent (MC) and the WP on the propagation of the anomalous convection over the IO is investigated. When the convective anomaly reaches the eastern IO, dry conditions prevail over the MC and the WP. The strength of the dryness is not tightly coupled to the strength of the convective anomaly over the eastern IO, but exhibits a large variability over the events. All 99 MJO onset events over the eastern IO are classified into three categories based on the strength of the dry anomaly over the MC and the WP. We found that the IO convection anomaly lives longer, and makes a further propagation when the dry anomaly is relatively stronger. When the dry anomaly is relatively weaker, the convection anomaly ceases before reach the WP in most cases. The dry anomaly plays a dynamically active role on the propagation of the IO convection through the Rossby response to it, which enhances low-tropospheric easterly anomaly to the east of the convection anomaly. The enhanced easterly anomaly helps the propagation of the IO convection by inducing a stronger moisture convergence in the lower troposphere and the boundary layer to the east of the convection.
- Yuma City Hall, Giss Parkway, 16th Street, Highway 95 Lettuce Fields, Arizona Orange Avenue Apartments, Yuma City Hall, Lee Hotel, I-8 Underpass, Giss Parkway, KYMA, Precision Electric, Klein's Kustom Electric Truck, Water Tech, Tee Pee, Banners Plus, John Deere, 16th Street, Highway 95 Lettuce Fields, Arizona Army Yuma Proving Ground yuma310.com
- Michael Puma GISS Lunch Seminar 20120328 Title: Understanding Agricultural and Urban Land Cover Impacts on Regional Climate Abstract: Human-induced changes in land cover are increasingly recognized as important for predicting regional climate change. In fact, the climate impacts of increasing CO2 may be regionally masked or enhanced depending on both the location and nature of land cover change. In addition, these land cover changes are being intensified, primarily through the growth of agriculture (irrigation) and urbanization, such that their climate impacts may become more significant in the future. Here, I present results based on simulations with the GISS ModelE general circulation model, which are focused on agricultural and urban impacts on regional climate. My colleagues and I find evidence that expected warming trends from increased greenhouse gas forcing have been locally 'masked' by irrigation induced cooling, and it is uncertain how the magnitude of this irrigation masking effect will change in the future. More preliminary results on urban affects on regional climate will also be presented, where we focus on how urban hydrologic controls influence regional changes in temperature and precipitation.
- Robert Field GISS Lunch Seminar 20121114 Title: A Tropospheric Emission Spectrometer HDO/H2O retrieval simulator for climate models Abstract: Retrievals of the isotopic composition of water vapor from the Aura Tropospheric Emission Spectrometer (TES) have unique value in constraining moist processes in climate models. Accurate comparison between simulated and retrieved values requires that model profiles that would be poorly retrieved are excluded, and that an instrument operator be applied to the remaining profiles. Typically, this is done by sampling model output at satellite measurement points and using the quality flags and averaging kernels from individual retrievals at specific places and times. This approach is not reliable when the modeled meteorological conditions influencing retrieval sensitivity are different from those observed by the instrument at short time scales, which will be the case for free-running climate simulations. In this study, we describe an alternative, categorical approach to applying the instrument operator, implemented within the NASA GISS ModelE general circulation model. Retrieval quality and averaging kernel structure are predicted empirically from model conditions, rather than obtained from collocated satellite observations. This approach can be used for arbitrary model configurations, and requires no agreement between satellite-retrieved and modeled meteorology at short time scales. To test this approach, nudged simulations were conducted using both the retrieval-based and ...
- Robert Fischer GISS Lunch Seminar 20121003 Title: Downscaled Surface Mass Balance Field over Land Ice: Elevation Classes in ModelE Abstract: My research is focused on coupling ModelE with a dynamic ice model. To do this, ModelE must produce high-resolution downscaled surface mass balance fields. I will review the overall plan, along with the introduction of elevation classes in ModelE --- necessary to produce these fields. This informal seminar will be a good opportunity to consider how elevation classes might be used for improved accuracy in other areas of ModelE outside of ice sheets.
- GISS Young talents to CFR 1907 Cluj - Transilvania Live GISS Players Kim Byung-Oh (GISS South Korea), Grant Maddern, Chris Vartaci and Jack Turner (GISS Australia) with CFR President Iuliu Muresan, Ben Johnson and director Morris Pagniello.
- Carlos Perez GISS Lunch Seminar 20101020 Title: An online mineral dust forecast model from meso to global scales: description, validation and applications Abstract: We describe the NMMB-BSC-Dust model, a new dust aerosol cycle model embedded online within the NCEP Non-hydrostatic Multiscale Model (NMMB). The NMMB is an evolution of the operational Non-hydrostatic Mesoscale Model (WRF-NMM) extending from meso to global scales. Its unified non-hydrostatic dynamical core is prepared for regional and global simulation domains. The new unified system is intended to provide dust forecasts from regional to global scales, and to be a useful research framework for dust modeling since natural dust distribution and effects are important at global scales but strongly depend on emissions that occur on small spatial and temporal scales. We will also present the validation of the model from regional to global and from daily to yearly scales. The regional model will be used as a complement of the GISS ModelE dust module with the aim of improving our understanding of the dust cycle, in particular of the dust emission and wet scavenging processes. Finally, we will explore one of the current applications of the model. Outbreaks of Meningococcal Meningitis are mostly concentrated in Sahel region and have long been related to the dry and dusty conditions prevailing in the region. In order to study the potential impacts of climate and dust on meningitis epidemics we have performed long term simulations with the GISS ModelE and the ...
- GISS NBC 3Med Prog
- Drew Shindell GISS Lunch Seminar 20120229 Title: Simultaneously mitigating near-term climate change and improving human health and food security Abstract: Tropospheric ozone and black carbon (BC) contribute to both degraded air quality and global warming. We considered ~400 emission control measures to reduce these pollutants by using current technology and experience. We identified 14 measures targeting methane and BC emissions that reduce projected global mean warming ~0.5 degree C by 2050. This strategy avoids 0.7 to 4.7 million annual premature deaths from outdoor air pollution and increases annual crop yields by 30 to 135 million metric tons due to ozone reductions in 2030 and beyond. Benefits of methane emissions reductions are valued at $700 to $5000 per metric ton, which is well above typical marginal abatement costs (less than $250). The selected controls target different sources and influence climate on shorter time scales than those of carbon dioxide-reduction measures. Implementing both substantially reduces the risks of crossing the 2 degree C threshold.
- GISS Zane' boys missing someone special. Genova International School of Soccer: Zane' project boys missing someone special back home. Mixed and edited by...a baccala'.
- Jing Li GISS Lunch Seminar 20111005 Title: An optimal fitting approach to improve the aerosol size parameterization and optical properties in the GCM Abstract: We improve the ModelE aerosol optical property parameterization using an optimal fitting approach with AERONET ground measurements. The model aerosol optical properties, such as optical depth, are calculated using the aerosol mass density field from a chemical transport model, Mie scattering parameters, a prescribed dry size for each aerosol species assuming external mixing, and a hygroscopicity parameterization. A comparison between the model- and ERONET-measured optical depth (AOD) and Angstrom exponent (AE) indicates that the general circulation model (GCM) aerosol parameterization has a flatter AOD spectral dependence, thus a very low biased AE, which suggests that the aerosol sizes used in the model are too large. The seasonal variation of GCM AE also disagrees with that of AERONET data. On the basis of these results, we identify GCM aerosol size as the most poorly constrained parameter and develop an optimal fitting technique to adjust the GCM aerosol dry size by minimizing the total mean square error between the GCM and AERONET AOD at the six AERONET wavelengths. After adjusting the aerosol's dry size, the agreement between the GCM AE with AERONET data is improved. The fitted AOD at the six wavelengths closely matches AERONET data over most biomass burning, dust, and rural regions. The results are also greatly improved for the other aerosol ...
- 127 year animation of world temperature anomalies based on GISS data. For more information, see For more animations, see Sinan Unur
- James Hansen GISS Lunch Seminar 20110413 Title: Earth's Energy Imbalance and Its Implications Abstract: Improving observations of ocean temperature confirm that Earth is absorbing more energy from the sun than it is radiating to space as heat, even during the recent solar minimum. This energy imbalance provides fundamental verification of the dominant role of the human-made greenhouse effect in driving global climate change. Observed surface temperature change and ocean heat gain constrain the net climate forcing and ocean mixing rates. We conclude that most climate models mix heat too efficiently into the deep ocean and as a result underestimate the negative forcing by human-made aerosols. Aerosol climate forcing today is inferred to be -1.6 +/- 0.3 Wm2 implying substantial aerosol indirect climate forcing via cloud changes. Continued failure to quantify the specific origins of this large forcing is untenable, as knowledge of changing aerosol effects is needed to understand future climate change. A recent decrease in ocean heat uptake was caused by a delayed rebound effect from Mount Pinatubo aerosols and a deep prolonged solar minimum. Observed sea level rise during the Argo float era can readily be accounted for by thermal expansion of the ocean and ice melt, but the ascendency of ice melt leads us to anticipate a near-term acceleration in the rate of sea level rise.
- Ben Johnson meets GISS Ben Johnson joins our staff as a scout and athletic trainer. An interview with him in Zanè (Vicenza - Italy) to talk about this collaboration.
- Matteo Ottaviani GISS Lunch Seminar 20120321 Title: THE POLARIZATION COLOR OF ALPINE SNOW Abstract: Characterization of the surface of the Earth is crucial to remote sensing, both to map geomorphological features and because subtracting this signal is essential during retrievals of the atmospheric constituents located between the surface and the sensor. Current operational algorithms model the surface total reflectance through a weighted linear combination of a few geometry-dependent kernels, each devised to describe a particular scattering mechanism. The information content of these measurements is overwhelmed by that of instruments with polarization capabilities: proposed models in this case are based on the Fresnel reflectance of an isotropic distribution of facets. Because of its remarkable lack of spectral contrast, the polarized reflectance of land surfaces in the shortwave infrared spectral region, where atmospheric scattering is minimal, can be used to model the surface at shorter wavelengths, where aerosol retrievals are attempted based on well-established scattering theories. In the radiative transfer simulations, straightforward separation of the surface and atmospheric contributions is not possible without approximations because of the coupling introduced by multiple reflections. Within a general inversion framework, the problem can be eliminated by linearizing the radiative transfer calculation, and making the Jacobian (ie, the derivative expressing the sensitivity of the reflectance with respect to ...
- This Boy Cover by The Giss(DAGIS) The Giss Gregory: Acoustic Guitar & Vocals Maganaka:vocals Bub-wit:vocals The Giss is composed of three talented rats. Rats are the most misunderstood creatures thats why they want to share their passion for music so that their fellow rats won't get discrminated and get exterminated This boy is originally from Beatles Lennon/Mcartney
- criss angel's brother giss angel magic mindfreak ep. 1 a video of giss angel walking through solid metal beams..(not criss angels real brother) a funny parody of criss.
- Maxwell Kelley GISS Lunch Seminar 20120516 Title: Ocean Modeling at GISS: Challenges and Perspectives Abstract: Covering more than 70% of the Earth's surface and having a spectrum of timescales ranging from months to greater than 1000 years, the ocean has long been recognized to play multiple roles in the climate system. The ability of ocean general circulation models (OGCMs) to explore these roles has improved, but a number of challenges remain in the construction of OGCMs suitable for coupled simulations on decadal to millennial timescales. In the context of my recent experiences working with the GISS OGCM, I will present examples of these issues, focusing primarily on their impacts on the ocean's global temperature structure and its circulation metrics at high latitudes, briefly examining ENSO variability and a climate-change scenario as well. Specific exultations and lamentations will discuss (1) the stringent requirements on freshwater fluxes (2) the representation of unresolved transports (3) the importance of the details of bathymetry (4) the long timescales (5) differences between ocean-only and coupled ocean-atmosphere simulations (6) numerics
- Yunha Lee GISS Lunch Seminar 20101103 Title: Aerosol indirect effect using a fast and accurate global aerosol microphysics model Abstract: Aerosols can enhance cloud albedo and modify precipitation efficiency by acting as cloud condensation nuclei (CCN). These two aerosol indirect effects are the most uncertain climate forcings. The large uncertainty in estimates of the aerosol indirect effect is due partly to uncertainties in CCN predictions and can be improved with appropriate simulation of aerosol number and size. The TwO-Moment Aerosol Sectional (TOMAS) microphysics model incorporated in the Goddard Institute for Space Studies General Circulation Model II' (GISS GCM II') predicts accurately the evolution of aerosol number by aerosol microphysical processes such as condensation and coagulation. My doctoral research at Carnegie Mellon University focuses on two broad topic areas: a) the improvements of GISS-TOMAS model and b) the study of aerosol indirect effects using the improved GISS-TOMAS model. This seminar will cover the latter. First, the impact of mitigation of black carbon (BC) particulate matter on aerosol indirect forcing is studied. Mitigation of BC has been suggested as a strategy complementary to reduction of greenhouse gases due to its positive top-of-the-atmosphere (TOA) direct radiative forcing. However, BC-containing emissions can contribute to the CCN population when those particles become internally mixed with hydrophilic aerosol components, and a decrease in BC mass result in a reduction ...
- GISS Intermediate Choir Recorded on January 13, 2011 at Artspring. Owen Hooper is in the back row.
- Gone in 60 Seconds (1974 ) FINAL SCENE! THE BEST PART OF THIS FILM! The Original Gone in 60 seconds made in 1974, written and directed by HB Halicki. All of the stunts in this movie were completely real, and 90% of the people in this were real people and not actors. Most of this chase scene was also unwritten and just plotted out with the sense of police failing to catch Toby Halicki as he attempts to steal Eleanor, a 1973 Mustang.
- Richard Crossley - Becoming a better birder Tips on how to become a better birder.
- Kostas Tsigaridis GISS Lunch Seminar 20110119 Title: Influences of the primary organic marine component on sea-spray composition and climate. Abstract: Organic aerosols, a ubiquitous component of atmospheric particulate matter, are still poorly constrained in global models. New sources and production mechanisms have been discovered in the last few years, including primary and secondary sources from the ocean, important new terrestrial secondary organic aerosol precursors, and cloud processing. Although their importance for gas-phase chemistry and climate is expected to be very significant, most global models to date include few, if any, of these new sources. Marine primary aerosols are traditionally being treated in global models as pure sea-salt. Recently, however, it has been well established that sea-spray composition consists of a mixture of sea-salt and water insoluble organic material. This is expected to affect marine aerosol properties in global models, with probably the most notable change being that the mixed particles have reduced hygroscopicity. This results in an increase of marine aerosol lifetime due to suppressed removal, as well as a reduction of their cloud condensation nuclei activity, affecting cloud droplet number concentration, and, consequently, altering the radiation that reaches the ground, feeding back to affect ocean biology, which is the source of organics in sea-spray. The importance of the oceanic source of primary organic aerosols will be evaluated and validated against measurements, in ...
- GISS 06 strung a few photos together from last summers Gordonstoun International Summer School where i was at as a junior helper.. absolutely amazin! cant wait to go back! 4 weeks of antics, frickin fantabulous
twitter about giss
Blogs & Forum
blogs and forums about giss
“Gastrostomy Information & Support Society (GISS) Forum. Information sharing and discussions about gastrostomies and jejunostomies This forum is for information sharing, seeking support and raising issues related to gastrostomies and jejunostomies”
— Gastrostomy Information & Support Society (GISS) Forum, .au
“The resulting GISS temperature index is supposed to represent what the temperatures would adjustments of temperature data in its GISS temperature record in the wrong direction”
— ICECAP, icecap.us
“Forum. New Topic. Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a MySQL result resource in /home/giss/public_html/catalog/forum.php on line 107. No posting”
— Giss.co.th, giss.co.th
“NOAA, GISS and the mystery of the vanishing weather stations You can read the full report at his excellent blog*. In the 70s, the Chiefio discovered, GISS and NOAA took their temperature data from 6,000 weather stations around the”
— NOAA, GISS and the mystery of the vanishing weather stations,
“Discussion Forum. Who Is Online? Who Is Online Map. Stickers For Your Site. Email Alerts and Reports. Website Change Log. Site Map. Weather Links. Search Site. Posts Tagged giss' News & Blog Navigation. Search Institute for Space Studies (GISS) announced last week that October”
— Giss | Thornton and Denver Weather News and Commentary,
“The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Directors of Information Forum will provide an opportunity for the sharing of ideas on and developing a methodology for strengthening Government Information Services (GISs) in the region”
— CARICOM Directors of Information Forum to Explore, jis.gov.jm
“FORUM SOCIAL CATALA stream interface (this player works with java plugins , free theora used to play clip. Powered by GISS. global independent streaming support. Free streaming”
— index.html, giss.tv
“NHL94 Forum > Viewing Profile: giss. Guidelines. View New Content. giss's Profile User Forum Home. Delete My Cookies. Mark Board As Read. Community Forum Software by IP.Board”
— giss - Viewing Profile - NHL94 Forum, forum.nhl94.com