- Qiviut (Inuktitut syllabics, ᕿᕕᐅᖅ; Inuinnaqtun, qiviuq ; sometimes spelled qiveut, and pronounced kiv-ee-yut) is an Inuit word commonly used to indicate the wool of the muskox. The word was originally used to refer to the down feathers of birds as well as the inner wool of the muskox. — “Qiviut”,
- Qiviut definition, the soft, dense, light-brown woolly undercoat of the musk ox, used in making fabrics. See more. — “Qiviut | Define Qiviut at ”,
- YarnMarket features Windy Valley Muskox Qiviut Knitting Yarn - a yarn that is noticeably softer and lighter than cashmere, 8 times warmer than wool, hypoallergenic and non-irritating to the skin. Yarnmarket has an extensive array of yarn,. — “Windy Valley Muskox Qiviut Knitting Yarn at Yarnmarket”,
- cottage craft angora , yarns, knitting, cottage craft angora,your place to buy Buffalo yarn,qiviut yarns at affordable prices & angora rabbit yarns and knitwear haute couture ,angora rabbits,pattern, fiber harvesting,knitting yarns,bison yarns,. — “Angora-buffalo-musk ox,qiviut yarn mill”,
- Knit Now, a knitting store in Whitehorse, Yukon provides knitting classes for people who want to learn to knit. — “Folknits - Muskox Qiviuq (Qiviut) at Knit Now”,
- qiviut ( ) n. The soft wool lying beneath the long coat of the muskox, valued for its use as a fiber. — “qiviut: Definition from ”,
- Qiviut Knit-Along. This is a blog for people to share the experience of knitting with qiviut (and/or qiviut blends) - a space for praising the fibre, sharing your difficulties and successes, and for viewing the amazing work done by your fellow knitters. — “Qiviut Knit-Along”,
- A community about qiviut. Tag and discover new products. Share your images and discuss your questions with qiviut experts. — “: qiviut”,
- Qiviut. Learn about Qiviut on . Get information and videos on Qiviut including articles on artemisinin, acrylic yarn, quadrennial and more!. — “Qiviut | Answerbag”,
- qiveut ( qiviut ) handmade clothing, sweaters made of musk ox wool from Alaska. The Qiveut Collection: handknit & handmade Alaskan clothing, sweaters & more made from the worlds finest fiber, qiveut. — “qiviut ( qiveut ) - Alaskan handmade designer clothing made”,
- Offering fine quality qiviut (kiviut), suri alpaca, pima cotton, australian merino yarns and fiber, all at reasonable prices. Whether it's the rare qiviut from the ancient muskox, the fine alpaca yarn or another of the beautiful fibers, you can be assured that you have. — “Fine Luxury Yarns & Fibers - Windy Valley Muskox -”,
- View All Qiviut Woolens. Supply of these marvelous goods became a possibility only when John Teal in 1964 started the Musk Ox Project to bring together re-establishment of the musk ox in Alaska and relief from abject poverty for the Eskimo in the outlying coastal villages. — “Qiviut Woolens -- Qiviut, the Wonder-Wool from the Arctic”,
- Qiviut (pronounced kiv-ee-ut) is the Inuit word for the extremely fine underwool of the muskox, prized for its softness and warmth. Every spring, muskoxen rapidly shed their qiviut in anticipation of warmer summer days. — “Large Animal Research Station - About Qiviut”, lars.iab.uaf.edu
- Qiviut is an extremely soft fiber harvested from the coats of musk oxen, arctic mammals named for the distinctive musky odor carried by males. Pure qiviut can be used directly next to the skin because of its extreme softness, although the fiber does not hold a knitted shape well. — “What is Qiviut?”,
- Qiviut is plucked from the coat of the muskox during the molt or gathered from objects the animals have brushed against; unlike sheep, the animals are not sheared. Much of the commercially available qiviut comes from Canada, and is obtained from the pelts of muskoxen after hunts. — “Qiviut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”,
- Native-Alaskan owned co-operative of Eskimo knitters, providing hand-knitted items made from Qiviut, the rare underwool of the arctic Musk Ox. — “Oomingmak - Musk Ox Producers' Co-Operative”,
- Qiviut is a terrible thing to waste! Informative Muskox Video from Canada. What is Qiviut (aka Qiviuk or Qiviuq)? Nancy Bender of MOCO Yarns and The Musk Ox Company in Montana, with 12 years experience raising musk oxen for their fiber, explains the exceptional qualities of MOCO Yarns Qiviut:. — “Qiviut, MOCO Yarns by Caryll Designs, Musk Ox Down”,
- Qiviut - Musk Ox wool - Greenland. The musk ox wool comes from wild musk oxen in Greenland. Qiviut, pronounced kiv-ee-ute, is one of the finest natural fibres obtainable. — “Musk ox yarn - Qiviut”, qiviut.dk
- Definition of qiviut in the Online Dictionary. Meaning of qiviut. Pronunciation of qiviut. Translations of qiviut. qiviut synonyms, qiviut antonyms. Information about qiviut in the free online English dictionary and encyclopedia. — “qiviut - definition of qiviut by the Free Online Dictionary”,
related videos for qiviut
- Qiviut III Here's another of our happy sheep dog pup :)
- Kramer's Adventures I - Wool Kramer Kramer goes undercover in qiviut, musk ox wool ... His sister Momo investigates ...
- lk2g-066 Alaska is for Knitters - Juneau and Ketchikan Check out letsknit2 for complete show notes with links! This latest episode of our video podcast is the EPIC conclusion of our yarny trip to Alaska. For this episode we stop in Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Yarn Shops visited: * Skeins Fine Yarns - Juneau * Mission Arts and Fibers - Ketchikan * The Point - Ketchikan What I am wearing: * In Alaska - on ship in Juneau - Icelandic Lopi sweater Number 4 from Ístex Lopi No. 23 knitted in Lopi in colors B 0051 White, MC - 0008 Lt. Denim, C 0098 Cadet Blue, A 009 Med. Denim * In Alaska - in Ketchikan - Heartstrings Morning Surf Scarf, hy handspun superwash merino in Dinosaur Colorway from Spunky Eclectic * In Alaska - on the glacier - Felted Cloche knitted with Crystal Palace Iceland and Tilly Scarf made with Crystal Palace Fjord Print from A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns * In the chair - Nachaq knitted with Qiviut. English Translation is on Ravelry The music in this episode * Echoes of Solitude by Alexandre Falcao found at MusicAlley Special thanks to Cheri Pyles from Mission Arts and Fibers and The Point in Ketchikan This episode is sponsored by: At checkout, be sure to leave a message telling them that youre a fan of Lets Knit2gether and thank them for their support.
- Qiviut Our sheep dog pup happy to be clean!
- lk2g-061 Alaska is for Knitters - Fairbanks Check out letsknit2 for complete show notes with links! In this latest episode we take a trip to Alaska on a quest for Qiviut. Our first stop is in Fairbanks where we chat with the Fairbanks Fiberistas. What am I wearing: In the chair: Clapotis made with Noro Silk Garden in color #211 In Fairbanks: Diagonal Lace Scarf knitted with my homespun 2ply fingering yarn from Cherry Tree Hill Pastels Potluck Roving Special thanks to Patti (Patsand) for inviting us and driving us to the meetup. Thanks also to Monica (Snowmagnolia) and Ginny (Gin) for their interviews and everyone at the Fairbanks Fiberistas group for making us feel welcome! This episode is sponsored by:
- lk2g-026 Knitting Journeys Check out letsknit2 for complete show notes with links! In this episode of our Video Podcast, CAT takes you on her journey through Hamburg, Germany and her experience spinning Qiviut from Greenland. Shops in Germany: * Wolle Laden, stash enhancement: hand dyed and natural Irish Wool * Purpur Wolle stash enhancement: Regia Sock yarn and Filatura di Crosa Golden Line Superior Cashmere/Silk * Wollboutique stash enhancement: Trekking Hand Art, Austerman Step, Opal What's on the set: * Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket from EZ Opinionated Knitter made with Cherry Tree Hill Supersock DK in Spanish Moss Colorway and Knit Picks Swish in Bubblegum * Mystic Light Shawl Knit-a-long in Alchemy Bamboo (Please note that the Mystery is over, however, you can still knit-a-long by buying the pattern) What am I wearing: * Reading in Bed Shrug made with 100% Angora from Valeria di Roma Upcoming events CAT will be attending: * Rip Van Winkle Spinning Retreat Fleece to Foot May 16-18th, 2008 Sponsored by Country Wool (Still two slots left!) * Interweave SOAR October 5th-12th 2008 Pocono Manor, PA Lets Knit2gether is on Ravelry Special Thanks to Jane (Lacefreaks) and Connie (Conicuts) for use of their photos for this episode. Buy our DVDs for$17.99 each plus shipping. Our international airmail shipping charges are now only $13.00 US for both DVD shipped worldwide.
- Sarah Palin Wears the Warmest Material on Earth She wears Muskox wool called Qiviut. Hey there is not that much in the world so leave some for us.
- lk2g-086 Rhinebeck Adventure 2010 Check out letsknit2 forcomplete show notes with links! In this episode of our knitting web video series, our adventure at the 2010 NYS Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, NY. This year was full of so much fiber and fun we've tried to pack as much as we could into one episode so you could experience this fiber fantastic event! Sheep Breeds: * Corriedale, Border Leicester, Ouessant, Oxford, Coopworth, Gotland, Teeswater, Horned Dorset, Cotswold, Black Welsh Mountain, Jacob, Wensleydale, Soay, Leicester Longwool, Cheviot What's on the set: * Entree to Entrelac: The Definitive Guide from a Biased Knitter * Town & Country Cardigan knitted in my handspun from the book A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns by Lisa Loyd What I am wearing: * In the chair: Wooley Wormhead's Meret Hat * At Rhinebeck: Nachaq in Qiviut from Alaska, Cascade Lana D'Oro Cabled Cardigan W204 in Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton;Gretel Hat from Ysolda Teague knitted in Bijou Basin Ranch Yak/Cormo Special thanks to Caitlin and Sara Healy! When you support our sponsor, you support the show: At checkout, be sure to leave a message telling them that youíre a fan of Letís Knit2gether and thank them for their support.
- Sonic Colors Playthrough - Planet Wisp Video of me playing the Sonic Colors Demo @ the Sonic Colors event in Bryant Park. This one is Planet Wisp. Shoutout to my new friend Dark Qiviut!
- Qiviut II More light! Our Old English Sheep pup LOVES life after his bath.
- Rambling 5/10/08 Vlog Just me, rambling... To find out more about Qiviut and Artic Musk Oxen watch this cool vid:
- lk2g-064 Alaska is for Knitters - Anchorage Check out letsknit2 for complete show notes with links! In this latest episode of our video podcast we continue our journey to Alaska with a stop in Anchorage for a visit at the Oomingmak Cooperative. While there we find out more about qiviut, muskox and the Inuit knitters who create the lovely lace qiviut items. What I am wearing/knitting: * In Alaska - Nachaq knitted with Qiviut* In Alaska - Heartstrings Morning Surf Scarf, hy handspun superwash merino in Dinosaur Colorway from Spunky Eclectic * In the chair - Ishbel shawlette by Ysolda knitted with Tili Thomas Beaded Plie American BeautySpecial thanks to Torgeir Robertson. For more information about qiviut and the Inuit knitters check out: Arctic Lace: Knitting Projects and Stories Inspired by Alaska's Native Knitters by Donna Druchunas Check out for substituting yarns This episode is sponsored by: When you support our sponsor, you support the show!
twitter about qiviut
- yagarden: http:///windy-valley-muskox-qiviut-yarn-3001-gold-rush.html #canadian #spelling #qiviut #windy Windy Valley Muskox Qiviu
- amelialouise: A friend just stopped by my house and surprised me with two bags of qiviut fiber and a little handful of vicuña. I am one excited yarnlady.
Blogs & Forum
blogs and forums about qiviut
“Dark Qiviut: The Man Behind the Ox! Please join my new forum. cj. Global Moderator. Mega. Offline. Posts: 6609. Breast Cancer Awarness Month. Re: Dark Qiviut: The Man Behind the Ox! " Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007,”
— Dark Qiviut: The Man Behind the Ox!,
“Exclusive Qiviut Smoke Ring Pattern. Posted in Yarn News, tagged Knitting Pattern, Musk Ox, Qiviut, Smoke Ring, Yarn on April 29, The harshness and remoteness of the Arctic limits the amount of qiviut available”
— Yarn News " Northern Threads's Blog,
“You can watch videos of the forum here and ask your Congressperson to Ewe yarn shop in Concord, New Hampshire, and her experiences with qiviut. Like me, she has fallen in love with the fiber and has recently been using qiviut from Greenland. Unlike me, Kelly got to collect fiber shed by wild”
— Blog - SheepToShawl,
“Well, frankly, if you need a loan to indulge yourself in $70 an ounce Qiviut yarn, I recommend you substitute the more affordable cashmere; if you can't afford cashmere, use the merino. Heck, angora or mohair will do! But, if you really, really”
— The Knitting Fiend/ Diet Diary " Blog Archive " Loan to buy,
“Big thanks to our qiviut sponsors: Fabulous Yarn and Simply Socks Yarn Company; our cashmere sponsors: eat. We announced the Search Party Prize recipients yesterday - in fact, there was kind of a party all day long on the For the Love of Ravelry forum”
“Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking. Anime | Fan Art | Fan Fiction | Blog/Journal | Posters | Store | Bookmark. Members Search Help Register Login Home. Dark Qiviut's Profile. Date Registered: Thu, November 24, 2005”
— Forum: User Information Dark Qiviut,
“The qiviut booth is in what looks like a little building of it's own. The garments feel I have an ounce of qiviut that I bought on sale a couple of years ago that's a very dark”
— Knitter's Review Forums - Quiviut Booth at NYC Bryant Park,
“One way to acquire qiviut is to simply gather it where found naturally in the wild, from stand in the pen with the musk ox and manually removing the qiviut using a comb/pick”
— Carl Johnson Photography - Blog,